Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Christmas Tree Song at New Year



Yesterday I was everything.

They found me in a dark stand and circled around me with cheers.

They brushed the shivering snow from my verdant fir and stood me up in their home.

They adorned me with ornaments and strung lights from my outstretched limbs.

They set presents before me, gifts wrapped in beautiful paper, tied with velvet ribbons and knotted in glorious bows.

They crowned me with a sparkling star and gathered around me with mirth and merriment.

Then one morning they rushed up to me and tore the presents open and turned away with all their attention devoted to what had been concealed inside.

Then, with the gathered wrapping and packaging, they tossed me outside.

Yesterday I was everything.

Now I am nothing.



Garrett Buhl Robinson
© 1/12/16

1 comment:

  1. It's sad . . . Post Christmas depression blues . . . and another dead tree . . . like so many before it ...

    ReplyDelete